Bar and Court Admissions:
- Admitted to Bar, 1978, Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Board Certified in Health Law
- Duke University (B.A., 1975, with honors)
- University of Virginia School of Law (J.D., 1978)
- Orange County Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Mr. Evans is an AV-rated1 attorney with decades of experience in representing healthcare clients in Florida. He is board certified by The Florida Bar in health care law. He represents several large regional hospital systems that include hospital facilities, managed care subsidiaries, home health agencies, nursing homes, ambulatory care centers, imaging centers, a hospice provider, behavioral health providers, physician practices, and clinics.
- Mr. Evans received his bachelor’s degree with honors from Duke University, and received his law degree from the University of Virginia School of Law. He is admitted to The Florida Bar and is admitted to practice in the United States District Court of the Middle District of Florida, the United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court. He is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association.
- Mr. Evans has been active in medical staff issues, including credentialing and disciplinary proceedings, physician contracting (including hospital-based physicians), organizing and administering hospitalist programs, physician practice acquisitions, ancillary provider acquisitions, managed care contracting with payors and providers, advising emergency medicine programs, and counseling clients on such current issues as EMTALA compliance, emergency room call, HIPAA compliance, medical staff bylaws, contract review, compliance programs, Joint Commission, antitrust, Stark and Anti-Kickback compliance, and health system affiliations, mergers, and acquisitions.
- Notable court decisions include Stalley v. Orlando Regional Healthcare System, Inc., 524 F.3d 1229 (11th Cir. 2008) (successful defense of Medicare Secondary Payor claim); Levine v. Central Florida Medical Affiliates, 72 F.3d 1538 (11th Cir. 1996) (successful defense of federal antitrust action brought by disciplined physician); Health Options v. Palmetto Pathology, 983 So. 2d 608 (Fla. 3d DCA 2008) (successful representation of amici in case concerning billing practices of pathologists); Sipkema v. Reedy Creek Improvement District, 697 So. 2d 880 (Fla. 5th DCA 1997) (successful defense of claim that Walt Disney World security operations subject to Public Records Law); Doe v. Walt Disney World Co., 654 So. 2d 1174 (Fla. 5th DCA 1995) (affirming defense judgment in invasion of privacy case brought by AIDS patient); Fasig v. Florida Society of Pathologists, 769 So. 2d 1151 (Fla. 5th DCA 2000) (representation of pathologists in dispute with insurer concerning professional component billing); Adams v. WFTV, Inc., et al, 691 So. 2d 557 (Fla.5th DCA 1997) (successful defense of three major Orlando area television broadcasters in libel case); Ramos v. Orlando Regional Healthcare System, Inc., Orange County Circuit Court Case No. CI-0-00-885 (2000) (successful defense of physician challenge to exclusive contract for pediatric cardiology services); Orlando Regional Healthcare System, Inc. v. Pinette, (Orange County Circuit Case No. 04-MHR-1519-O) (successful action to enforce terms of living will); Kabeller v. Orlando Regional Healthcare System, Inc., Middle District of Florida Case No. 6:04-CV-1106-ORL-19-DAB (successful defense of federal court class action lawsuit by uninsured patients); Baker et al v. Orlando Regional Healthcare System, Inc., Case No. 05-CA-3881 (defense of state court unfair pricing claim by uninsured patients-resulted in settlement with no payment); United States ex rel. Peeno v. Visiting Nurse Association, Middle District of Florida Case No. 6:04-CV-640-Orl-31JGG (successful defense of qui tam litigation against home health agency); DeStefano v. Adventist Health System Sunbelt, 973 So.2d 492 (Fla. 5th DCA 2007) (successful defense of libel claim against Orlando Regional Healthcare System, Inc.).
- Mr. Evans was selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the specialty of health care law.
- 1. The “AV” rating is the highest rating given by Martindale-Hubbell, the leading publisher of directories of practicing attorneys in the United States. Martindale-Hubbell rates attorneys and law firms, and has rated numerous Mateer & Harbert attorneys, as well as the firm itself, with the “AV” rating.
- Corporate & Business
- Health Care